If you’re looking for high-quality construction materials, you’ll notice “Hardie Plank” comes up at least a few times. Hardie Plank is a brand-name siding material from the James Hardie Corporation, and it’s known for its durability. It’s a double-siding product made from cement, sand, and cellulose fibers. The biggest asset of Hardie Plank siding is that it is fire-proof. On top of that, it comes with a long-lasting warranty.
As a construction company, we know the ins and outs of various building materials and feel that the choice depends on your home’s structure, location, and the owner’s needs, wants, and budget. So if you’re trying to decide what material is best for your home, it’s a good idea to consult a professional! Until then, here is what you should know about Hardie Plank siding.
The Pros of Hardie Plank Siding
Overall, this popular material is worth the cost for those with the time and budget to spare for its installation. There are a number of reasons that Hardie Plank siding is highly sought-after.
- Pest resistant – It’s made from materials that termites can’t chew through. Mice, woodpeckers, and other pests won’t be able to damage it.
- 30-Year warranty – If anything does happen to your home, you’ll have a 30-year warranty with the company, which is a fantastic value.
- Highly customizable – Hardie Plank siding comes in several different textures, so whether you want realistic-looking wood or something more smooth and modern, you can find plenty of options here.
- Adds to resale value – As a high-quality, long-lasting material, your house will be valued at a higher price than if you used vinyl siding, as it deteriorates much faster.
- Fire-proof – One of the most significant advantages of using Hardie Plank is that it is non-combustible, which is one of the reasons it is highly sought after. Insurance companies are often willing to provide a discount on home insurance if Hardie Plank is used due to it being non-combustible. While heat will transfer through, this type of siding will not ignite if exposed to a direct flame or contribute fuel to a fire.
Hardie Plank Siding Cons
There are a few significant drawbacks when it comes to Hardie Plank siding. Here’s what you should keep in mind before you make any big decisions, and again, every home and location is different, so it’s a good idea to ask our professionals.
- Pricing – Its brand name and reputation make Hardie Plank already more expensive than its competition, but again, you’re getting quality for the price. The price also goes up for this product because there’s only one company producing it, and increased demand and lower supplies always equal an increased price. Finally, this product is heavier than many other construction planks, which adds to its durability, making it much pricier to ship. Shipping costs for this product add to the expense. So initially, Hardie Plank siding is an investment but one that adds protection and value to your home.
- Installation – Not all construction and contracting companies have experts in installing Hardie Plank siding. Due to its heavier weight and durability, it’s harder to install than vinyl, and the process is more time-consuming and difficult. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done, though. You have to find a construction company with the expertise necessary to deal with this material.
Classic Construction, the leading remodeling contractor in Richmond, has a highly trained and experienced team of professionals that specialize in the installation and maintenance of Hardie Plank siding.
If you’re looking for a high-quality way to spruce up your home, call Classic Construction at 804-794-5690 or get a quote online. Our experienced professionals are ready to help you make the best possible decisions about your home’s remodel. We’ve been working with the community for over 20 years and are proud to continue providing quality construction and remodeling throughout Richmond, VA, and surrounding areas.