It easier then ever to extend your indoor living space right into your yard and blend it altogether with the right design including all your components flowing together. This can include your outdoor kitchen, pool, deck, sun room and screened porch space. When all the elements are properly planned you will have an outdoor oasis that will be perfect for entertaining and for creating great family memories.
The good news is that the entire development plan does not always have to be done at the same time so you can start with a screened porch or sun room, then add the custom deck, then add a hardscape patio, then add the outdoor kitchen and finally add a great swimming pool. Of course, if you can plan it and have the budget the entire development can be done all in the same construction project.
Let’s start where most home owners start the process; right with your new Richmond custom deck. Be sure you plan it large enough for future use and incorporate all the features that you need.
Here are some considerations when developing your plan:
Custom Deck features:
- Maintenance Free Materials – Invest in composite materials to make your deck maintenance free. Composite deck materials often come with a 25 year warranty, won’t rot, warp or fade. Always use a great rail system like Railing Dynamics Inc., RDI, and enjoy their lighting features that your guests will absolutely love! You can also build in walkway lighting that leads to your deck at dusk or in the later hours of the evening.
- Seating – Build in custom seating areas to create the right flow of your space and give everyone a nice place to sit without needing to get out a bunch of chairs.
- Natural features – Bring the natural landscape onto your deck with a tree, pergola or arbor. Each of these will allow you to build in shaded areas with gorgeous landscape naturally built into your design.
- Fire pit – There are a number of creative ways to build a fire pit into your deck design. Just like a fireplace inside, your fire pit can become the focal point for your deck and your guests will love the benefit of toasting marshmallows and creating memories on your deck.
- Character – Consider adding some radius and curve features in your deck and accent them with decking and rail patterns that will give your deck great character.
- Water features – Everyone loves the sound and reflection of water so build in a custom water feature so all your guests can also enjoy it. Choices include everything from your cool hot tub, traditional water falls and features that incorporate the steps of your deck.
The most important part of any custom deck is YOU. This is your outdoor space so consider it carefully. Most features cost less then people expect and it costs nothing to find out what it costs.